Wednesday, May 13, 2009

day 1. Pearl Harbor

"Just point this thing in the direction of Toys R Us."

(Not shown: two ton diaper and diaper bag 2 miles away)

Aboard the USS Missouri

"if I smile like this and bat my eyes like that...it will only be a matter of time before I've got him buying me snow cones"

The USS Bowfin


It occurred to me that it might be useful for those planning a trip out here to know a few more details of our days so that they can make similar plans. (It is easier to plan a trip when you know what can feasibly be done in a day.) To the rest of you this may sound boring.

Pearl Harbor:The USS Arizona, USS Bowfin and the USS Missouri are all at the same location. You could probably do them all in a day if you have long attention spans. I knew we didn't. Plus you can't take small children on the Bowfin. We actually chose to buy tickets for the USS Missouri and took the nine o'clock tour. We were one of the few on the boat. (I LOVE not having crowds) It was very interesting and took about an hour and a half. We could have easily done the USS Arizona as well, but we instead went to the swap meet. (Very close by, open Wednesday's and Saturday's).
(Distance: about ten minutes from our house provided there is no traffic).

Swap Meet: $! per person to get in. This is where you buy all your souvenirs. I have been surprised to find that their prices are actually better than if you were to buy some of the things at a grocery or ABC store. (Buy your fruit at Costco or Chinatown). Jesse bought us a dang good snow cone. It was that good. Or maybe it was that hot. Prices are pretty uniform so don't worry about finding the best deal on things. Jesse also bought some Hawaiian sweet bread with cream cheese. We used that for our next activity...You should also buy a Malasada. They are Cinnamon donuts that are really good and cheap. (I think only 75 cents)There isn't a HUGE variety or diversity of things. In fact, you will see the same thing over and over with a few exceptions, but it is still fun and the samples make it worth it. (Jesse tried smoked Tuna and tried EVERY SINGLE FLAVOR of fruit chutney from a really nice lady that saw he was my mothers child and knew a bottle would be sold by the end of her demo.)
(Distance: same as above.)

Ko'olina beach: Dinner, sunset, and swim at the beach. (We actually took at nap at home then picked up Jason from work first) We went to Ko'olina resort. I packed a picnic of veggies and hummus, fruit and yogurt, and Jesse's sweet bread. It was a perfect dinner. Noelle enjoyed hers dunked in sand, but whatever. We stayed until the sun went snorkeling, which I have too say is the perfect ending of a great day.
(Distance: about fifteen minutes from or house, but in the opposite direction of Pearl Harbor)

3 comments:

maughans said...

CUTE
combo

Brooke Snow said...

I really really wish I was there :)

Anonymous said...

Noelle is such a CUTIE! She'd be a great captain!