Friday, May 15, 2009

So Far Synopsis


I LOVE vacationing with my brother!!! He is the easiest person to get along with, and have fun with. Our personalities just mesh.

Yesterday we woke up early, dropped Jason off for work, and then drove to Diamond Head Crater. Both of us are pretty fast hikers so the accent that was supposed to take us an hour took us twenty minutes. It always reminds us that we are "sturdy" people (us Corbridges) because all the people on the trail were huffing and puffing and we did fine. (Plus Jesse carried Noelle). We may not be skinny....but we can beat you to the top!

The view was awesome. (Pictures in previous posts). The decent was a little more difficult due to the angle of the stairs and the backpack, but we still laughed and talked the whole way done. I love my brother! Did I mention that? We never run out of things to talk about. Jesse is an idea person. He reads so much that he has interesting opinions. I love learning from him, and sometimes debating him...even though he usually wins.

At the bottom of Diamond head Jesse treated us to snow cones and we chatted with other vacationers for quite a while. Note to self: Snow cones make me insanely drowsy.

Our next stop: CHINATOWN!! You have to know something about us to appreciate this visit. Both Jesse and myself are PASSIONATE about fresh vegetables and fruit. Plus we both love the atmosphere of open markets. I wish I had pictures because some people who haven't experienced this just won't understand, but Asian markets are AWESOME.

The first thing you notice is the colors and textures and smells that jerk you to a different reality. Foreign languages swirl around you. The Pretense of linoleum floors and saran wrapped perfectly round vegetables are gone. You are brought one step closer to the cycle of food as you watch store keepers tenderly arrange anything from tripe to passion fruit, dried anchovies to avocados. I know some might shutter at the appearance of 'unsanitary' conditions. They are deceived.

I love the haggling and the one on one interaction. The person you buy your fruit from is the grand-daughter of the person who picked it and the sister to the person who grew it. I also feel amazed at the diversity of food. One store was full of dried fruit and fish--huge jars of mysteriously chewy concoctions for an advanced palate. Behind glass counters the eyes of a fish stare at you, unblinking but glistening on their beds of ice that they share with the ribbons of intestines laced together in a surf and turf display. This carnage might bother some. (The same who have no problem eating hot dogs and chicken nuggets). Again, I find myself smiling and enjoying myself and the HONESTY of the Chinese market. The best part is that Jesse enjoys it too. We both have our wallets open. We both point at a fruit and nod a knowing nod and smile as our arms become heavier and heavier with bags of fruit.

In the end our wealth was 1 Passion fruit, 2 Avocados, 4 mango, soy sauce, hoisin, basil, cilantro, and Jalapenos.

After our china town excursion we drove to Punchbowel cemetery. It was beautiful. A picture is below.


Today
Again we woke up early. We had some debate last night about what we should do today. (Mainly because there are so many options). In the end we decided to hike Manoa Falls. I had done this with Jason last week, but I wanted to hike slower and possibly hike higher. we arrived at eight and no one was there. PERFECT. the weather was cool and the foliage was AMAZING. We discussed business ideas and politics the whole way up, and the whole way down. I LOVE MY BROTHER! We met a fun older couple at the top who gave us some more ideas for later in the week. We decided to climb higher and we were not disappointed. The trial that was supposed to be advanced was only difficult from the view of the falls and after that we were greeted by a perfect path and the tallest, most creative looking trees.

Near this hike is an arboretum. I had missed this on our trip with Jason, but this time we stopped in and we were not disappointed. "Uncle" took us on a tour and entertained us with antidotes about every tree. We learned how they were used, how they grew, and what I am assuming were some "pull you're leg" facts....At least I hope so. :)

Hiking had worked up our appetite so we adventurously decided on sushi. We wanted RAW fish!!! Did I mention I love my brother! He is so fun to have adventures with. The restaurant that we went to had a conveyor belt of sushi. You just grab what you want to eat and pay for it by the plate when you are done. I have noticed that Asians are very dainty and proper eaters. Well, Americans such as Jesse, Noelle, and myself...are a little more boisterous. First Noelle helped herself to some sushi. (I guess we will take that one!) She tossed the whole thing in her mouth and was busy chewing until she discovered the soy sauce. Jesse and I encouraged each other to try just about everything that passed. (Tricky owners saw $$$ when we walked in the door!) I was surprised to find that I really like sushi. My favorite was salmon with onions on top.

Tonight we are going to the Luau and show at the PCC. More pictures coming later. Mom and Dad...thanks for letting me steal your boy. He is SPLENDID company.

2 comments:

Barbie said...

I'm so glad that you are both having so much fun. He is splendid company isn't he? We miss him here...he lends an energy to the place that is absent without him. Quincy doesn't think that we are near as much fun as Jesse so he has been kind of down in the mouth (and on a collie there is a lot of mouth.) I love the day by day posts and pictures, especially the description of the Asian market, the photo's of the "place of the day" and the beautiful state you live in. Keep them coming!

the ohana said...

I love all the pictures and your stories, makes me miss Hawaii. Here are places to eat suggestions. both Mike's and my favorites: Curry house(Pear City), Kaka'ako Kitchen (Ward Center), Phuket Thai Restaurant(the one in Mililani Town Center)across it is a great Korean Barbque place. If you're ever craving for good Mexican food, go to El Toritos. Okay, that's it for now, I'm getting hungry :)..