Sunday, August 12, 2012

Why oh Why July July

I'm not happy that July is almost over in the not happy way I get when someone spills on a floor I just hand-mopped or in the not happy way I feel when one of my kids use me as a human napkin for their snotty nose. Its irritating. Do not end July!

How could you go so fast? Blah. I've loved summer. I love the routine I've got down with the kids. I love the variety of weather. I love the variety of activities. I love having something--almost weekly to look forward to. Summer has been wonderful, and while August is still considered summer....it just seems like the beginning of the end. Boo hoo.

 Summer reading program Our library has an awesome summer reading program. The kids set a goal to read seven books a week, which is kind of a Shoot For a Pile of Horse Pucky and Aim for the Stars kind of an approuch. We read a lot of books, but this way I don't have to write every single one of them down every week. At first I was going to make Noelle write them down, but Oh boy, that was tedious, which reminds me that writting is on our list for August preschool which aren't I so excited for. (WHY JULY!!!)
The kids get to use "Book bucks" to buy toys at the library, all of which are lame and brake before we get them home. But the concept of saving an buying is being taught, so I don't really care much about the quality of junk they are inheriting even to the point that I don't gag when Jadon has a sticky rainbow neck from the candy necklace that he bought.

 The other sweet thing is that we have gotten losts of really good coupons for things I wouldn't normally treat the kids to, but do because now I have a coupon. For instance, we once had a bunch business meeting at a soft serve yogurt place. I say business meeting because it sounds much more responsible and we did try to set a few goals: 

"So uh Jadon. I feel we could work a little harder on the whole poop goes in the potty thing. Are you willing to commit to trying a littler harder?"  

Jadon: (Lick lick) "And bud, another good goal for you would be to stop eating things that may send you to the hospital. No more windex, nail polish remover, or bait out of mouse traps. Okay?"  

Jadon: (Shovel shovel drip drip) 

 What I am saying is-- it was a good business meeting. 


 My garden 

 I love having a garden. It calms me, makes me happy, and makes me feel like a productive human being. I mean, I can take a nap and the garden is busy growing. Isn't that awesome? (And yes, I take naps. It helps me be nice). There are so many perks to having a garden.

 1. The kids snack in the garden. They mainly eat peas, raspberries, and dirt right now, but still--one less mess I have to clean. Plus, its healthy. 

2. We eat a lot of green stuff. Spinach, Kale, peas, lettuce. All from the garden. I love it. 

3. I can threaten to make the kids weed when they are driving me crazy. (I'm finding weeds do have a purpose)

 4. I can take people lettuce instead of making cookies. I know I am weird, but I hate making cookies. Loathe it. Would rather clean a bathroom. Now, when I know someone needs a pick-me-up I take them lettuce. CAUSE WHO DOESN'T FEEL BETTER WHEN THEY GET FREE LETTUCE? 

5. It makes my yard look nice.

6. I have tons of pesto and green curry paste in my freezer for winter. Now, gardens are super high maintainence. I will admit that. Sometimes I feel like I weed more than I do housework. My strawberries stunk this year (we got two off an entire two rows and Jadon ate them both when they were white). I am also aware that we aren't saving any money by growing our own food, but I still thinks it is worth it.  


Jason and his bees My husband is cute. He visits the bees everyday. He frets over flowers he thinks they are missing. He brings the kids honey comb to suck on. And, best of all, he scares the neighborhood kids away with his bee suit when they've been playing in our yard too long. 

Bikes We took the training wheels and the pedals off of Noelle's bike. She loves it and is doing so well with the only problem being she doesn't want the pedals back on. Poor Jadie has to keep up with her on his little pink three wheeler. I think he is the only little boy who can ride a pink bike and make it look wreckless. (It helps that he paints it with mud and fills the seat full of rocks).


 Random Family Fun We Went on a hike as a family. Jadon loved it and often asks when we are going to go again. Noelle hiked only as long as I threw fruit snacks up ahead on the trail for her to eat. (Okay. I didn't really do that. It would have helped though because she was excellent at hiking and complaining at the same time).
We had fun with some friends at the Rexburg Dance Festival Parade. Sadly, the best dancing was done by these two:
And not these people:
Not because they weren't probably great dancers...but they mostly walked like this
instead of performing. I was trying not to feel critical because it was really hot, but it seemed like a shame that so many people came and the most enthusiasm for busting a move was coming from my kids. On the bright side, we got to hang out with friends and we had frozen custard and made a trip to the park afterward.

2 comments:

AmberLynn said...

Laughed about Jason and the bee suit! I think that's neat that he is so into the bee stuff. You and I need to have a talk about how I can coax some life into my garden next year.

I feel like we didn't get to catch up near enough this weekend, but I was sure glad I got to see you! Great job!

Shilae said...

Wow, so many updates!

Having a garden doesn't save you money in groceries? What's up with that?

I can't believe you did that crazy relay--good for you!