Sunday, September 8, 2013

I think it was August...

Guess what? We have three turkey's. They live in this small tractor trailer, but I think they have a pretty happy life. The only hardships they have to endure is the neigbhor's dog who occasionally gives them PTSD, which really means they are whimps because the dog is the size of a rat which is why I sometimes refer to him as Haunta Virus. (Don't tell the owner. She is pretty smitten with her rat-dog.) Sometimes I forget we have turkeys because I don't have much to do with them. I've been in charge of feeding the baby, the minions, and my husband. Jason is handling the livestock. Clearly we split work right down the middle.

I've decided I like having chickens. Scenario: My kids waste their food. I feed scraps to chickens. Chickens give me more food. How about that! What other pet does that for you?
Our chickens are pretty excited that my kids are such waster-faces. They also go crazy-happy when Jason mows the lawn.

Aren't they just the cutest little chickens you ever did see? The Aracanas are at the bottom of the pecking order, but also the smartest (or maybe because they are the smartest?!? That would be so like real life). The Aracanas get last dibs on the scraps, so they just say "catch ya later" and fly the coop. They go hang with the llamas and eat bugs and enjoy their freedom all the while taunting their tormentors. They should be close to laying eggs though so their freedom is is about to come to an end and I am sad for that. All the other chickens are laying eggs. It was quite a mystery for while because we kept waiting and waiting for the eggs to start showing up. Then one day we found two outside the pen. OUTSIDE. That is like magic. Except, it wasn't. They had revolted against our lay boxes and had been laying in the attic of the coop. Jason found 3 dozen eggs up there. It made us feel like idiots, but we got over it quickly because WE HAD FARM FRESH EGGS!

Our bees have been fantastic this summer. After the whole debacle of killing Queens (because the bees were acting like tracker jackers) they ended up being mellow-hard-workering bees. Jace pulled the boxes yesterday and the honey is DIVINE. I had to lick the table (because he was dripping everywhere) and I noted floral summery hints. I like this hobby my husband has.


We tried to be organic this year with our fruit trees. Early in the spring we added these nylon fruit bags around the fruit. It was supposed to keep the wormies from making their homies in my fruit. Guess what? It didn't work. The wormies ate through the nylon. That, and it looked like granny panties hanging from a tree. At least we tried.



My good friend Kristi's little gal had a birthday. Kristi throws the best parties for her kids so I tried to take pictures before my kids destroyed it the place.

No comments: