Friday, March 27, 2015

Spring Break

Spring Break has been pretty causul and I love it. Jadon loves having Noelle home to play with. I am so glad those two are good buddies. I really do look forward to summer because I miss Noelle too, and not just because she makes my life easier.

I did set aside several projects to keep things rolling around here. We did a bit of "Family History School" every day and the kids really took to it. We watched some videos on Appenzell Switzerland that included some yodeling. Noelle has been "yodeling" ever since. I wish I knew someone who could really teach her how.

For Easter each of my siblings are assigned a Family History couple to present on. Our family is Johannes Kung and Charlotte Whilhelmina Krusi. (4 great grandparents through my Grandfather's mothers side).

I adored the pictures the kids drew of the family. This is Jadon's.
This is Noelle's.

The mom and the dad are on the right. The two girls are spinning--one is holding the baby on her shoulders. The three youngest boys are causing trouble. One is poking the other and then the third won't let the one being poked have a flag. Looks like a normal family!

The first days of spring break were blustery, cold, and we even got a spring snow storm. Thursday was perfect again. My friend Amanda and her kids concieded to come on a hike with us. I may have sometime told Jadon that Sophia is his betrothed. She wanted to hold his hand the whole way. He was patient, but more concerned about bugs.

The awesome thing about hiking with friends is my kids don't complain about walking. We did this two years ago when I was pregnant with Sydney so I thought I could easily do it. I forgot that I would be carrying Sydney AND a baby in utero this time. I made it and didn't go into early labor. Sucess!



We had lunch at the top and the kids did their little mountain goat thing where they make me think they are going to fall off the mountain.


On the way down you pass a creek. I told my kids not to get in. Spoiler alert. They did anyway. (It snowed the day before).

Juice boxes were quickly slurped and became homes for water bugs. Noelle said it was the most exciting thing in her life to catch a water bug.
We also have been celebrating Holy Week this week. Technically it is next week, but as you are about to see I am not too concerned about authenticity. (It just gave us a couple more projects to do while they were home and likely next week will be much more hectic).

Mostly we have done some art projects and watched bible videos that have followed along with the last week of Christ's life. Its been like Family Home Evening every night and the kids have liked it. I have enjoyed learning things, and putting things into perspective that I (Sheepishly) didn't know before.

Thursday night we had our Passover supper. This was the same day we went for a hike and I ran out of time to buy a lamb and cook it. There were lots of "kid friendly" ideas on pintrest, but they weren't very healthy so I figured we would really stretch it. We had Indian Food. :) (How else was I going to get lamb?)

I made homemade Naan for our "unleavened bread." and we smoothered it in honey butter. Jadon ate like five. I think he loved it. We also had deviled eggs instead of regular hard boiled eggs. Green salad for bitter herbs....and no wine....or grape juice. (We will include that when my kids don't spill). This was my favorite day to study and the kids actually listened really well to a very simplified version of things.
They also thought it was totally cool to eat on the floor. Sydney spent all of dinner roving and spilling things. (Which she somehow manages to do when we are at the table too, so no dif).

No comments: