Last night I was trying to navigate pureed carrots into a moving target while listening to the news, and watching my husband trying to do the dishes. He was acting kind of funny and said, "Sooo do you want to go to dinner tomorrow night?" and then he looked at me out of the corner of his eye.
I had just made our shopping list for groceries and assumed he didn't like one of the meals we had planned because we don't just go out to dinner for the heck of it. (Besides we tried to go Friday after spending an entire day at the temple and driving an extra hour to spend ten minutes with friends. Squirto wasn't thrilled about that so our attempt at eating dinner out wasn't super successful.)
My cute husband tried to prompt me even more. He said, "We can do something else if you want...."
I still didn't get it.
Finally he said, "You have no clue what tomorrow is do you?"
Actually I didn't. I wouldn't have known what day it was had we not just had FHE. So I started doing the numbers....its not a birthday....4th of July is in a week....Oh crap! Its our anniversary!!!
So now I feel like the worst wife ever! It totally snuck up on me. I can't believe we are already in the middle of June. Plus...I can't believe that we have officially as of exactly this moment been married for two years!
I still need to think of some ways to make things special. (Can I just say that this day hasn't made that easy for me? Power out...internet out...no car...can't find phone numbers!)
While I think about that--let me tell you our love story!
The first time I met Jason I thought he was a student teacher. He was vacuuming out computers in the computer lab. I can still vividly remember that moment. (For the record--he didn't know who I was for a long time after!)
We were friends by association throughout high school although I always really liked him. He was dating someone else and always treated her like royalty. I think he would be mad if I told of the computer scandal that brought us together as better friends...but needless to say we became good friends and would chat online often.
He went on his mission and I wrote to him several times. Then oddly I ended up teaching English in his mission so I could no longer write to him. (Although other missionaries would show me pictures of him).
I came home from Russia about the same time he did and we went out on one date merely as friends. We were going to different colleges so we really didn't see each other often. Then I moved to Jackson for the summer. When I got back I heard a message from him on my phone. I had just broken up with someone (As did he I found out later) and so I was excited to see old friends to change my focus. When he came over for my first date my mom got really excited about him, which was good because I liked him too, but because we had dated each others friends I saw him more as a friend.
Luckily he was pretty persistent because we had a lot working against us. We lived two hours away from each other, my friend that I had broken up with was getting baptized, the boy I had been writing to was coming home from his mission, and....I wanted to go on a mission.
Even with all that it was hard not to fall in love with him. He would send me beautiful flowers frequently (the delivery boy had our address memorized) he would think of fun dates to go on, and he was really fun to talk to. Still I felt like I was supposed to go on a mission. So I did. I am forever grateful that I did, but it was hard because I really knew that I wanted to marry him. I think being away from him for eighteen months made me love him even more. We wrote to each other every week. (I missed twice, but he didn't miss once.) Even though people offered to set him up on dates...and some old flames tried to strike things up...he waited the whole time for me.
When I got home I was so excited to see him, but I was worried it would be weird. I got off the plane and called him, then I went and got released, and then he met me at my house. The minute I saw him I ran up to him and gave him a big hug. It was like I had never left. He kissed me the next day (pretty fast for an RM eh!) and proposed the next month. We got married in the Logan temple and the rest is history.
I honestly think we were the perfect match. It always strikes me as interesting that the perfect person was right in front of me for so long. It was a long road between meeting him and marring him. Then again, I probably wouldn't have been the right person for him had I not dated the people I did, gone to school, and gone on a mission.
Two years later and we are still happy, still married, and still in love. (Now I just need to think of something fun and creative to celebrate!)
2 comments:
I always wondered about you and your story. Thanks for sharing :) Add more family/couple pics.
yeah, i always wondered too. it was fun to read! keep posting!
Post a Comment