Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Small




Today I am feeling small.
Not insignificant. Just small.
Small like I felt the time I went jogging on the path behind the hotel in the Tetons. It was windy and yet still. Nature and my thoughts engulfed me. I found myself with a panoramic view of mountains so large they swallowed the sky. I found a place I could sit and think. It started to drizel and it felt like whispers from heaven. As I listened closer the clouds heaved and torrents of water memories spilled from the sky. I embraced the newness, but the power overwhelmed me. I was alone and I felt small. Not insignificant. Just small.


Small like the time I went for a walk on the streets in Russia. My heart was open to adventure and my eyes wide to learn. But, my ears ached from encrypted noises, as even the buildings and architecture spoke a different language. I peeled back the layers of filth and grime and I saw history. I sat on a bench and watched alien faces in bear coats and furry hats skate past me as I wondered about their stories. There was no end to the people, noises and smells. It made me feel small. Not insignificant. Just small.




Small like I am feeling now. Small because I am an infant to my potential. Small because no one dreams to be normal. Small because I am starting to understand that the miracles God would have me work aren't insignificant, but they are small. Small like being a good listener, compliment sharer, and advice giver. Small like being willing to do mundane, repetitive tasks. Small like just being normal, and small like letting others be big.
Today I feel small.
Not insignificant. Just small.

3 comments:

Brooke Snow said...

Nice words. You are so poetic. I never got that gift, and boy could it come in handy with my line of work! I can only write things that are considered cowboy poetry!;) I might have to have you write lyrics for me someday;)

Shilae said...

It sounds so trivial to make this comment when your words are so profound, but I worked in the Tetons too! I worked at Colter Bay for the summer after I graduated from high school--and jogging on a trail in the Tetons--something I can completely relate to.

Lindsey said...

Awesome! I worked three summers at Jackson Lake Lodge. Wow, we have even more in common...:)