Wednesday, September 3, 2008

On my mind

It has been a while since I have been able to post so there has been a lot on my mind....

0000. My Mom.
It was her birthday this week. I have decided that she is unlike any other person on this planet. She is unique, creative, talented....and my mom! Here are ten reasons I think she is (Can I borrow a term from Mr. Shaub?) Rocking Awesome.
A. She plants a hundred trees a year. No I am not exaggerating. One of my favorite talks, "Four Lost American Virtues" asks, "When was the last time you did something hard for your grandchildren." The question was posed to teach people that public virtue is using your talents to bless generations. My mom does this. She even planted a tree the year Noelle was born so that Noelle can watch "her" tree grow as she grows. How cool is that!
B. I think Heavenly Father has a special love for my mom, because my mom has a special love for his creations. She takes care of all the stray cats (Don't get any ideas...) pheasants, foxes, hummingbirds, and even the racoons. (As long as they don't eat her dogs food.) She also has a very well trained dog that thinks he is my brother.
C. She plays a mean geetar! I mean guitar! I love the sound of my mom practicing. Her music always contributed to the peace in our home. (Its probably why I have the skills to pay the dance bills too!)
D. She has a really exceptional way of organizing mail. (Love you mom!)
E. On a dare she ate a whole clove of garlic. Raw.
F. She is everyone's go to person for canning, gardening, cooking, and landscaping.
G. Her creative outlets have changed over the years, but all are worth mentioning: Flower arranging, wreath making, painting, photography, scrapbooking, landscaping, sewing, quilting, gardening....I could name more.
H. She knows the names of most flowers, trees, and plants including weeds.
I. She has read more books than anyone I know. She was "into books" long before Oprah and book clubs.
J. She has cooked entire meals from over 50 countries. Yea 50. I can't even name 50.
K. Most of my friends end up liking my mom more than me.
L. She really truly is a best friend and an awesome grandma. Happy Birthday Mom!

0001.
I can count in binary. How many dance majors do you know who can do that?

0010.
Sarah Palin. I have a love hate relationship with politics. You know you watch the news too often when you talk about news anchors like they are your friends: "Megan Kelly and Bill Hemmer told me!" "Bill O'reilly was just saying yesterday..." Anyway, having watched way to much news I was getting pretty tired of politics. I was even about to start rooting for Ron Paul. Until this Sarah Palin thing. I think its hilarious. I won't even comment on what I think about her politically. I just love the "Days of our Lives" drama that she adds to the campaign. By everyone talking about her inexperience it makes people remember Obama's inexperience. People of all walks from snowmobilers to hockey moms can relate with her. Its just ironic and I love irony. This is what keeps politics interesting.

0011. My brother.
He comes home from his mission in October! Woo Hoo!!! Yeah for kidney punches, for being flicked with a tie, for homemade pelmeni, for toyota kicks, and for his pet spiders. Yeah for permanent IT help for my mom's computer. Yeah for Noelle getting to meet her uncle. Yeah for a chance to see Twoie, Skeezo Marie, and David again. (I might have to take them to Chevron for ice cream!) Yeah for sitting on the roof at midnight. (I mean....we never did that....) I love my brother!!!!!

0100. I have the cutest kid in the whole world. I know you think your kid/kids are cute/cuter. Sorry. Noelle now clicks her tongue, says mmmmmm when eating food, waves goodbye, dancing when music is on, growls like a dinosaur, giggles when tickled, and makes fun of me by pretending to "talk" when I am on the phone. She crawls all over the place, "Vacuums" the floor for me (Makes for some interesting diapers), and can can turn pages when we read books.

0101. I like our house. I just need to find my straightener.

0110. Awk! I have bread rising! Gotta go.

3 comments:

Brooke Snow said...

nice tribute to mom! I should do the same!

Barbie said...

Thanks Curly Sue,

Your post made me laugh today when I was tired and ready to drop from "using everything in the garden" because what doesn't get used now gets put on the front porch for "eating later!" By the way, we will have basil beans for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

JESSE!!!!!!! Hey I miss that kid too. Ask him if he remembers our swing routine lol. And I made those beanies and scarves...check it out :)

http://atwaterfamilyblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/see-my-matching-beanie-and-scarf-set.html