
For all you people who have never made/never care to make moist, healthy, provident wheat bread, please ignore this post. For those of you who have/do. This is for you. My mom made bread all the time when we were young. Unfortunately I don't have many memories of that. When I got married I felt that part of domesticating myself would be to learn how to make bread. My first attempt was white bread. Lets just say the first couple of attempts weren't super successful.
Now I feel I have white bread down pretty good so I am learning to make other varieties. I have this to say about that: If you are going to make a complicated potato/jalapeno/sourdough/whatever bread fine. Do it right. But if you want to make wheat bread, particularly if you are going to do it frequently, do yourself a favor and use this recipe. I got this from Mandi and Teresa Maughan. All the ingredients can be in your food storage, and you can be done start to finish including grinding your wheat in 2 hours. No waiting 1 1/2 hours for it to rise. No complicated steps. Simple. Good. Lindsey proof.
We will name the bread "Wheat bread" because we are feeling creative
We begin with the ingredients...
Ingredients
12 cups wheat flour
2 TB yeast
5 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey (I use sugar)
2 T salt
How to do what I do :)
Mix 6 cups flour and your yeast.
Add all water at once and mix 1 minute
Let sponge for 10 minutes
Add: oil, sugar and salt.
Turn on mixer and add 6 more cups of flour.
Knead 10 minutes in Bosch. (If you plan on doing this by hand, just come over to my house and use my mixer.)
Shape into loaves and put straight into 4 loaf pans. Let rise. (Takes about 1/2 hour) Yeah...I know.
Bake 375 for 30 minutes
Cut and eat with honey. Repeat as often as needed. :)
My mom called today because she thought something had happened to me since I haven't posted for a while. (A while being a couple of days.) I'm fine, but imagine me with a sign written on cardboard standing on a street corner. The sign says, "I will publish new post's for comments."
Oh, the reason I haven't posted is because I have been having deep philosophical conversations with myself. This is what I learned this week.
1. Contrary to popular belief, good friends aren't the people that you have a lot in common with. The real friends, the irreplaceable friends, are the people that think YOU are interesting. That YOU have unique thoughts and ideas...and they don't mind hearing them. (This goes both ways of course) Some of my greatest friends...cough cough...my husband...cough cough...are very different then me. Different ages, hobbies, political parties, religions etc...Notice that people who find interest in other peoples lives always have a LOT of friends.
2. The older I get the more I like myself, the more I like myself the more I think my mother is amazing. Perhaps this is because I am becoming like my mother!?!?! (Good thing I don't have a subscription to National Geographic. ;) )
1 comment:
What?! No National Geographic subscription? (I am one of their "longstanding, bestfriend members" because at National Geo you are not just a subscriber, you are a "card carrying member". I am glad to read a post from you again...and see that you are alive and well (probably because of the wheat bread!) By the way, even though I made bread weekly for many, many years you don't have a memory of it. So....for Noelle's sake you will now have to keep up this tradition for twenty years so that it is embedded in her mind!
Post a Comment