Saturday, November 1, 2008

More quirks and an old picture

I was about to upload this post when someone pushed the power button. I'll give you two hints. 1. It wasn't Jason. 2. Her name starts with "NO NO NO don't push that button" and ends with "O-elle"

I have been tagged three times to do this quirk tag. Funny thing is I already did it and tagged several people to do it...That's OK people. I understand you have better things to do then read my blog and obsess about my quirks. Now you want me to think of six more? I am just not that quirky!!! OK I am.

Here it goes (there may be repeats since I am not going back to check my old quirks)
1. I can't follow a recipe. Can't. It never turns out the same twice because I never do it the same twice. Usually it works. Last night it didn't. Instead of using a pixie stick for its color to decorate the rim of our "ghost floats" I used peach jello. Looked great, but I think Jason's tastebuds are still on the glass...and it might need a long soak in the sink to get off. (At least its not as bad as the time I used baking soda instead of cornstarch to thicken gravy. Did you know gravy can fizz?)
2. I write in books. The more I love the book the more I write in it. Since I haven't bought books in a while and I have been checking them out from the library I have to have a notepad with me while I read. I write down the words I don't know, or sentences that I really like. I have done this since college when I had to give vocal book reports for a humanities class.
3. I still can't stand it when closet doors are open. (Sorry Tarah, time hasn't changed me). It never stays this way, but I like my Tupperware, refrigerator, cupboards, spices etc...organized. Jason gets in trouble if he folds his shirts wrong. I am not obsessive about this. (I can't be because having an infant means everything within their reach is no longer organized...and anything within Jason's reach has a 50% chance of not being organized...ok so its just preference.)
4. I like all the blinds open in the house. The music on, and probably the t.v. I do not care if people outside catch me jamming out to said music. Even if is Barney. Even if its Opera. I should sell tickets.
5. I am a "Christmas Kid". This is Jason's term for my desire to use something new the day after I get it. New shirt. I am wearing it. New outfit for Noelle. Swimsuit in October? She would be wearing it. Chocolate in the house. Not anymore. There is one exception. DON'T GULP THE GRAPEFRUIT JUICE!!!! Want to get canned? Gulp juice at my house. You will need one of those tailbone pillows when I am done with you.
6. Whew. I made it to six. I only need to think of one more...Lets see...I hate using public bathrooms (who doesn't?) and other peoples bathrooms. Even while we were dating I couldn't use the bathroom at Jason's house. (Maybe because the first time I meet Jason's family I brought his mom flowers...Jason braked too fast in the car and I spilled water all over me...I got to his house and politely excused myself. George walked in on me as I was blow drying my rear end dry...)
Ok there are my quirks. I am going to add my old quirks since NO BODY READ THEM BEFORE! Its ok. I forgive you. I am a forgiving kind of person. UNLESS YOU GULP THE GRAPEFRUIT JUICE!!!


Quirk 1. I am practically narcoleptic and I have always been. I can fall asleep in a a conversation,and I have enough practice faking "awakeness" while dozing that I can carry on a conversation. I will respond to questions and talk, its just not going to make much sense. I know that this quirk drives my husband crazy, but I lovingly remind him that he knew this quirk when he married me. The real problem, that even frustrates me, is that I cannot pray if I am too tired. The minute that I assume the position (kneeling is the worst) the lights in my brain literally go out. Obviously this make things awkward when I have to pray out loud. Apparently I have prayed for "people to travel in safety" Who knows who those "people" were. (Jason sarcastically tells me that "people" should be really thankful that I pray for them.) I have also prayed for "my supervisors and boss" when I was not employed anywhere. (When Jason teased me about this I teased him back telling him that "boss" was a code word for him!) So uhhh. Now that you know this about me please don't ask me to drive at night because as you can see I am not the safest person to have behind the wheel.

Quirk 2. I cannot follow a recipe. I never set out to change the recipe's that I am attempting to follow, I just have a very "whimsical" approach to cooking. I guess this reveals that I just have a hard time following rules in general, but in cooking its more forgivable. Has anyone heard of a cooking Tourret syndrome? Well I have it. Most of the time things turn out good, but those that don't I just chalk it up to experience. Hey! At least Jason doesn't complain about repetitive meals at our house. Half the time I couldn't recreate my creations if I tried!

Quirk 3. I hate wearing socks. I will try to go as long as I can into winter months without wearing them. Don't even get me started on nylons. I could start a feminist movement on my own about nylons. I even begged my mission president to let me go just one day (in the very humid months) without nylons. He said no. But, his wife said "Go for it. Just don't tell the mission President." :)

Quirk 4. I hate this quirk. Grrrrr. I can't wait for the resurrection. Quirk number four is that I am nearly deaf in one ear. I have a stigmatism but I loose glasses and can't wear contacts. To top it off I am very forgetful. So essentially I am deaf, blind, and dumb. When I worked at Borders my coworkers learned that they would have to say, "goodbye" to me at least three times before I finally made it out the door. First because I didn't see them, second because I didn't hear them, and third because I had to go back to my office to fine my keys/phone/purse/lunch bag/book.

Quirk 5. Some people are perfectionist and proud to be so. Good for them. I admire perfectionist qualities and think they should be employed as doctors, engineers, and accountants. I, on the other hand, am proud to be....let me use my word again "whimsical." If I finish a craft, say a homemade card, that has a crooked edge I will still send it. With love. Imperfection just doesn't get under my skin like it does others. In fact, I rather enjoy imperfection. My hair is never perfect, my outfits are rarely coordinated, and though my house stays relatively "tidy" it is never ever perfect. I guess this trait grew the more I got into modern dance. I love haphazard creating and how beautiful things can come out of sometimes obscure thought. I like living "in the moment" and enjoying things how they are without changing them. I look back at my wedding day and I wouldn't change a single thing, though I know most brides are crazy about the details, wanting it to be perfect. I loved my "wild" looking flowers. I loved my cake that was decorated spur of the moment by a guest. I guess I just feel things will work out. You just have to trust that.

Quirk 6. I have a phobia of calling people. If I have to call someone it takes me all day to work up the courage. I go through a mental list of reasons why calling them might bother them: they are sleeping/eating/cooking/FHE/putting a child to sleep/spending quality one on one time with someone. And since no one has the same schedule most times are likely a bad time to call....so I just don't. I confess this so all people who get a phone call from me know how much I really like you to go through a full day of stressing just to dial your number and push send! I am probably the only person in the world who loves answering machines! I have a short list of people I can call without worrying. 1. Jason 2. My mom/dad 3. Brooke. In my category two list (those that I will delay calling momentarily but get over quickly) are 1. Teresa 2. Mandy and 3. This spot is supposed to be for Nickolee. :( But as I haven't called her I am going to have to move her to category three. :((( Double sad. NICKOLEE I MISS YOU! and GHENT! and Rob.....not Hoot. :)


Happy "keeping it real day!"

Quirk 7. At the last minute I decided to add one more quirk. I can't spell. Did you notice?

3 comments:

Queen of the Castle said...

I love your quirks, sorry I tagged you, I had to make a quick list because kids were needing me and, so I listed the first 10 people I thought of.
I second the sock quirk, even during the winter I've been known to go outside barefoot, then I soak my feet in hot water while I sit on the bathroom counter, it's fun!
I really like that you aren't a perfectionist :).

Brooke Snow said...

I like your quirks! I was laughing at the new ones and the old ones!

maughans said...

I didn't know George did that. lol
-your short hair friend