Sunday, December 14, 2008

DC temple lights and a Christmas surprise

I LOVE living close to a temple. (I never thought I would say that when we have to drive forty minutes in traffic to get to a temple!) Even more than that I LOVE the DC temple. Its probably a result of it being MY temple as a missionary, but I still love it.
Saturday Jason, Noelle, myself and a group of our friends planned to meet up at the temple to see the lights, the nativity display, and the "Reflections on Christ" exhibit. (More on those later).
As we pulled into the temple Jason mentioned that the DC south missionaries were going to be directing traffic. Immediately we check the ones at the gate. Nope. Not Dustin. "What are the chances he would be here?" Jason says.
So we get out of the car and are wowed by this view:



Blinded by the lights we begin walking towards the visitor center. Jason tells me to "Go ask that missionary if Elder Maughan is here tonight" I respond, "Uhhhhhhhhh Jason....that is Elder Maughan!"





So like long lost brothers they embraced with tears rolling down their cheeks and a sob at their throat. (Aka I made them stand "friendly like" in this picture) Can't blame them though. It was kind of surprise to see each other!


It was a great surprise. He looks (as you ...kind of see...eh...from my dark pictures) healthy happy and great! It was very nice to see him. (Best part is no one can blame us cause we didn't plan it and neither did he!)


We had to let him do his job so we went and saw the nativity display and the lights, spied on him a bit, then took some more pictures. Besides the awesome surprise of seeing him the temple was just beautiful. Noelle really did like all the lights and it just really added to our season to be able to go as a family with our friends to see it. Enjoy the rest of the pics. (If Noelle isn't smiling in the pics its because she is worried about how her ear/hat will look in 16 years when we show a photo album to her first date!)







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! I love seeing night pictures of temples. They look magical!

Campbells said...

The Temple and Christmas lights look so beautiful!! I was so thrilled to hear you ran into Dustin, and then pics on top of that! Yeah!!! Thanks for having the camera ready!

Mandi

Barbie said...

It's so fun to see the pictures of your adventure at the temple, the lights are beautiful, Dustin looks good and Noelle probably will have more embarrassing pictures than this for you to show her first date!

BertnBurb said...

Hey I am jealous.........Dustin got to see Noelle before me!!!!!

:)

I am glad to hear that you guys had a great time and got to see Dustin. That is awesome and soooooo random. The temple and lights are beautiful.

We cant wait to see you guys.

:)

Karen