Sunday, March 22, 2009

Top 5 Reason's I loathe ironing

Top Five Reason's I loathe ironing
5. "Wah wah" call me a baby, but because of some weird leprosy I have on my finger tips, the heat from the iron aggravates it.

4. Throwing things in the dryer with a wet towel does a mediocre job. And, since I am just going to wrinkle it to a mediocre level by holding a kid, setting her down, holding, setting down, holding, wrestling a hymn book out of her hand....Anyway mediocre is ok with me.

3. I always remember that I need to iron something too late and then we are late for church....(But not late enough to hear the talk on, "Why we should be on time to church." ((Which was a very good talk BTW but I was sending an aura of guilt all the way out to the hallway where we usually sit)).

2.
Religion Confusion. Yes. Religion Confusion. Sometimes I think I belong to the wrong church. Why? THE RAPTURE. Yes the Rapture. When I walk into my bedroom and see two socks...a pair of pants (belt still in) and a shirt that belonged to the massive heap of ironing I did, all laying on the floor...without a body. It is then I think, "Great. The rapture came and took my husband, and what do you know...I got left behind. Probably because of all the cursing I did when I was ironing and when I saw my nicely ironed shirt laying in a HEAP on the floor."

1.
And the number one reason I loathe ironing:




Yes. Only I would iron a skirt on the floor, unplug the iron, but forget that it is HOT! Only I would back into it. Only I would shake it off and not put ice on it and then look down at church to find that I am sporting a brand on my leg that looks just like an iron. Great. I loathe ironing.

At least I wasn't wearing the skirt while I was ironing. That would have been really dumb...(Cough cough...jesse...cough cough)

P.S. Shilae, I just wanted to let you know I am blogging right now. In two minutes I am going to go brush my teeth, and then after that I am going to be reading a book. I just wanted you to know, because I know these things are important to you. :) Oh. I also ate more ice cream. Two scoops is just not enough.

11 comments:

iNetSpy said...

First of all, I always thought you were cute and very spirtual, but it was very rare that I found you funny.

You are a very funny person Ms. Maughan!

Shilae said...

Thanks for the updates--keep them coming. :)

Queen of the Castle said...

The only time I iron is when I'm sewing. I detest laundry and ironing just adds more to the chore. Jamie irons his own stuff. He doesn't seem to care much if it gets ironed, but part of me thinks that is because I've delegated that to him.
He once ironed his shirt on our couch and burned through the upholstery. It was pretty sad...

Brooke Snow said...

I hate ironing too. Therefore I just don't do it. Haven't done it since about September 2002. I was on my mission and my companion--a real proper Brit--was appalled at my attempt. She immediately forbid me to iron and did the job herself. From that time forth, I either bought clothes that didn't need ironing, or just wore things creatively unpressed:) Ben is fine with the dryer method. Good thing, cause that's all I do :)

And as far as ironing clothing with your clothes still on? That wasn't Jesse. That was me in probably 1999.

Barbie said...

Your rapture musings cracked me up...I can see that I didn't pass on my fine ironing skills to you kids! Seriously, Mrs. Godfrey, my Junior HIgh sewing teacher drilled into me the importance of being an ironing overachiever. I think she meant while sewing but I took it to new levels and even took an ironing class in the 1980's as a young mother and bought all of the ironing "aids" that helped get the perfect very smooth look on hard to reach spots like shoulders and arms of clothing. Dad still thinks I don't need to iron his work shirts but I like doing it and think that I am helping him look "professional". (I am not totally extreme though, I don't iron sheets!)

Unknown said...

Your blog is so funny! I hate ironing too, Brian does all of the ironing in our home. We have so much in common - daughters with the same birthday, Gouda cheese fans, and dancers! I didn't know that you danced. I spent 10 years of my childhood and adolescence as a dancer of all disciplines and then spent a couple years as an instructor. I don't really do a lot now. I have only taken one ballet class as an adult but I loved it and would gladly do more classes if more were available. Maybe when you get back we should find some fun adult classes (that sounds like I mean stripper or pole dancing classes when really I mean adult-aged classes). Whatever.

iNetSpy said...

Barbie's comment contrasted with Brooke's proves a long standing theory... IRONING you either love it or hate and there isn't much in the middle. :-)

My mom & dad loved to iron and while a young couple supplemented their income doing this for money for those on the HATE IT side of ironing.

It also doubles as a mild workout burning calories, even more calories if you burn an item, piece of furniture or a limb. :-)

Sarah said...

I'm not an "ironer" either. In fact, I had to iron something recently and pulled out the ironing board for the first time in...I don't know even know how long. I agree with you - my clothes are going to look like a rumpled heap in about 10 seconds anyway, so why put forth so much effort. We've purchased all wrinkle-free pants and shirts for Daniel's job, and that pretty much covers it.

Jesse said...

Brooke, you iron your clothes while wearing them too?! Wow...must be a family thing. I admit, it takes some talent, but of the maybe 5 times I've ironed clothes while wearing them, I've only burned myself once. That's an alright ratio as far as I'm concerned.

Boyd said...

Linds, want to join my "I hate laundrey, folding, and ironing, oh and sorting and hanging up clothes Club"? Great, you can be my VP!

the ohana said...

Linds! you never fail to crack me up. I'm looking forward to those Hawaii blogs. We will miss you guys. Mike said that he won't forget to email Jason about the places to go in Oahu..