Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Bye bye Brewsters

Hawaii has an ambiance that is so different from Maryland. I loved Maryland because of the friends that I made...but it is going to be hard for me to go back after being reminded about so many things.

Instead of frantic crazy drivers in MD people drive 35, give you the hang loose, and blare their music with their windows down. Even old ladies drive "chill like" and signal with their hands out of the window. I am not afraid to drive here...which means Arnold, my guardian angel can final enjoy his retirement.

Instead of city, apartments, business, and more city its a cornucopia of God's Van Goughish plants, a plethora of funny little birds of all colors and sizes that remind you that this is there turf, and a constant ocean breeze that warms and cools at the same time.

Instead of cold, often rude attitudes of strangers that ignor you as store clerks, or on the streets, it is neighbors introducing themselves, friendly staff at stores you visit, and a smile and nod from the person you pass on the sidewalk--even when they are occupied by a cellphone and a runaway dog.

I have to admit I was anxious about this move because I was leaving such good friends, and things are just never the same. I STILL miss my Fort Meade friends, (see previous post) but I feel very very very blessed to have this adventure.

Last night Jason put together a grill while Noelle and I played in the yard. There is something about a man and his grill...:) I could almost hear Tim the Tool man Taylor grunting as Jason put it together.

Then, for family home evening we went to Daves Ice cream. Whoa baby! Move over Brewsters. We shared a three scoop of Mango, Lemon Custard, and Coconut Macadamia. It was heavenly Hawaiian.

Jason started work yesterday. He reported back that he was pleasantly surprised with how friendly everyone was, how they all knew he was coming, and how much he likes his job already. Since he is gone, and I have an empty house I took to some exploring. This is the exciting part.

Drum roll....

I can walk...Yes Walk...to Borkers, K-mart, and a whole variety of outlet stores. I am most excited about being so close to Borders. (And the walk is through palm trees and flowers!) Noelle and I read books and then attended story time. Oh, I love book stores!

9 comments:

Laurel said...

I want to come visit you! How long will you be there?

Shilae said...

Hawaii just sounds AWESOME!!! And I so don't know which friend I am--Ariella was easy to pick out though. And I'm guessing I'm not the creative one...heehee.

Jesse said...

Sounds awesome Linds! I'm on my way right now!! Ah, I guess I ought to wait a little while. Give that girl a good solid kidney punch from her uncle.

Josh and Tiff Roundy said...

I am so glad you are loving it there. Hearing you talk about it makes me miss it since I know what I am missing over there. I wish we could go back. Enjoy every minute of it. It is a heavenly place. We miss you here.

Sarah said...

So, I was already drooling reading about such a beautiful place, kind people, and well..HAWAII! But then you go and add some Mango, Lemon, and Coconut ice cream to your post and I'm about ready to hop on a plane and make Daniel set up his practice Island-style.

Unknown said...

Your post just helped me to decide what to do during the months Brian is gone. We're on our way, I hope you can house Eliza and I because we're probably not going to want to leave. We want to go to the ice cream place on our first night, then to the bookstore, and then cook something on your grill. See you soon!

Marianne said...

I'm glad you made it! It sounds like you found a place to live! That's great. I can't wait to see pictures.

the ohana said...

You always put a smile on my face everytime I read your blog. I think I know where you guys live. It's the same area as Mike's uncle's house. His aunt is one of the managers of that Borders, her name is Marie. Have you been to the Genki Sushi there? Anyhow, keep the post coming.

Monique said...

What???? Where have I been? You are already moved? And I am here thinking how lucky you are to be living near Jamie and Brian. blah. Well, I am excited for you none the less. We might end up there... someday. :)