UPTDATE: The aloha was satisfactory. At least no one left or asked me to sit down.
Jason and I have to speak in church tomorrow and we are both nervous.
More nervous than the "I have to speak in public" fluttery jitters that everyone gets.
We are nervous because we have never started a talk with "Brothers and Sisters... ALOHA!"
I am sure we are going to sound like fakes.
We've been practicing.
I have to go first. If it goes poorly for me than Jason is going to start with a scripturen instead.
Alowha. AloHA. ALOWHA.
No matter how I say it sounds as imposter-ish as a banker from Jersey saying "howdy."
Oie.
6 comments:
How could someone with as much ZIP as you sound fake?!!!! Seriously, schwest! Just pretend (or not pretend) that you're doing a dance at the same time you say it (maybe you could do a small hula move behind the podium, and you'll be totally natural! Good luck!
Good Luck wish I was there!
Combo
I'm laughing picture you practicing your talk opening. I've found that more often than not, people are flattered when you even try. I wouldn't worry about the audience thinking you're imposters. They do know you're not Hawaiian afterall. :) When I learned Korean and I was certain I was butchering the work pronunciations, I still found that native Koreans were very excited to have someone even trying to use their language. They loved me even though I really had no clue what I was saying. Same goes for when I hear others speak in church. The "church" language is foreign to some so hearing them bare their testimonies in words that aren't always comfortable for them can be awkward for them but the Spirit always attends their words and it's not awkward for me. Your words will be carried by the Spirit regardless of how you pronounce Aloha. Good luck!
We had to speak today too. They don't do anything as cool as that here, but I think a really quick one would be pretty funny. alOha. and just see if they do just as fast back at you. :)
Good luck! I'm sure you'll do wonderful! Nobody sounds worse than i do when speaking.
Hey, you guys did great! True naturals... actually it's all Zui's fault you had to talk. Br. Chan asked him to speak and he gently reminded him that you guys had just moved into the ward...so sorry! But I'm not, I loved your talks, and anyone with true Aloha spirit will sound like a natural :)
Post a Comment