I have some relatives that write pretty funny Christmas cards too. But hey! They don't send those to me! They send them to my mom who keeps them all in a big box so that someday when anthropologists are doing a study on the people who lived during our time they will stumble across it and yell EUREKA! THESE PEOPLE WERE CHRISTMAS CARD SAVING NUTS!
Anyhoo. I actually sent out cards this year to people I had addresses for. Then, I did the unfathomable thing of sending them out through email. Now, I am stooping as low as it can go and posting ours on our blog.
Why? Because next year, if you could please, I would like a Christmas Card from you. My door does not even remotely look as festive as my mom's usually does. (And she only hangs the ones that she received from that year.)In fact, our door looks about as festive as a post-it note with the words scrawled in red, "Bah humbug."
Plus, I am utterly living with a complex that not only is this going to be the hottest Christmas of my life, but we have absolutely no family nearby, and our friends seem to have forgotten us.

Aloha and Mele Kalikimaka!
We hope you are having a wonderful white Christmas—enjoy some of the snow for us!
This has been a unique and eventful year for us. We have had adventures and experiences that may never come to us again. We miss being close to family, but we have learned many things from living in Hawaii; such as the art of driving slow, 101 ways to cook spam, and how to begin sacrament talks enthusiastically.
Jason is still working as a computer "guy" but this time he works with slightly more outgoing people so, we can no longer make fun of his co-workers and their social skills.
As part of his job he was supposed to travel all over the pacific setting up Lan Parties for the military, but due to the Obaminator and his gleeful spending, and stimulus Birthday Parties, all such travel has been canceled. Regardless, Jason is pleased to be "stuck" in Hawaii if he has to be writing reports.
Jason did get to travel to San Diego for a training before he took a "something something" certification. The only thing Jason saw there, besides his hotel room and the classroom, was the temple and various Mexican Restaurants. But, this enabled him to pass a very difficult test that will look good on his resume and will give him bragging rights at work.
In his spare time, Jason has become a sufficient body-border and scuba diver. Occasionally he mows the lawn, but since Lindsey cannot seem to keep her tomatoes alive he has let the lawn go to seed so that we can call it a crop.
Lindsey has spent the last year attending Martha Stewart's School of Hospitality and Homemaking. In total, she has hosted sixteen people scattered across over two months worth of time. She has thrown five Luaus, been to the Dole Plantation six times, and threw a thirtieth Wedding Anniversary for her parents. She has made over fifty recipes that she had never before cooked and followed at least one of them exactly. (The rest she used as suggestions). She cleaned her house almost every day, moved the furniture around at least once a month, and modified the art of decorating with second hand furniture that has endured seven moves.
To add some local excitement to her life Lindsey took surf lessons, became scuba certified, and for the first time in her life is a shade darker than opaque white, thanks to the Hawaiian sun.
Because Hawaiians don't believe in household air-conditioning, Lindsey treks to Borders nearly everyday so that she can sponge free air-conditioning and books. In total, her jogging stroller has wheeled her and Noelle over 540 miles, and together they have read every board book that Border's sells.
In April Lindsey's greatest accomplishment of the year will arrive and Noelle will be a big sister.
Noelle turned two last month. Her hobbies included bull riding, barrel racing, dejunking, reorganizing, reading books, eating treats, and being a personal trainer. She graduated from pampers and proudly wears big girl panties. She has a bathroom passport that has stamps from bathrooms all over Oahu, the Big Island, and even the Mainland. She is thinking of writing a blog dedicated to this adventure and hopes that it will propel itself into a reality series for toddlers.
Unlike her peers, Noelle enjoys broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, and even onions. She loves to go out to eat and adores treats, Barney, and her herd of animals. She is very witty and cunning and makes Jason and Lindsey happy to be parents.
As a family, this Christmas, we are excited to throw tradition into the trade winds by spending the holidays sipping luke-warm (hot) chocolate, decorating palm trees with lights, and making sand (snow) men. We hope your holiday season is equally imaginative, but most importantly full of Christmas Cheer. We love you and miss you!
Love,
Jason, Lindsey, and Noelle
Your Hawaiian snow-Maughans
5 comments:
So cute! Give me your address and I'll mail you a card. :) I have some hanging out in the kitchen just waiting for a good door to be hung on. Merry Christmas or Mele Kalikimaka (I hope I spelled that right). For some reason, I'm not feeling your longing for the snow with much sympathy. I think it's the two feet of snow that we've just dug out from under. I am convinced that snow is only good the week of Christmas. The rest of the year I'd love to live in a place that's warm, but I'd definitely need the AC too. Please tell me that it's getting a little more bearable there in December.
This is the nicest Christmas card/letter I have received this year....but could you send it to me by "real" mail so I can hang it on the door and put it in my time capsule box for future generations to find and enjoy? It is cold and snowy here but we miss all of you!
Loved reading your Christmas letter. I emailed one to you too---hope you got it ;) It must be such a different cultural experience in Hawaii---I hope it proves to make for a beautiful Christmas for you all. Ps. Loved the pics of Noelle in her green dress---adorable!!! Miss you and Merry Christmas!
:) let me start my comment with that smiley face because that's what I always have on my face when I read your blog. Your Christmas letter is too cute and funny. I was gonna send you a card, then I thought, nah, they're coming back soon, :). Give me your address, so you can put our card next to the Rasmussens. I like saving Christmas cards too like your Mom. Email me your address at naika_addington@yahoo.com Take care and kisses to Noelle and shaka to Jason!
Well, thanks for the christmas card. I didn't even to one this year.
Post a Comment