Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dear Jason Chronicals Part 9




As planned, Noelle and I went to the zoo today. It was actually pretty awesome just to spend some time with her. It was a PERFECT day. The wind was blowing, it was a bit overcasts, and I love how as local tourist, I have the time to just take it easy. I pretty much just let Noelle decide what she wanted to see and for how long. SHE LOVED IT. Her favorite was probably the elephants, and they were pretty impressive. Because we went so early hardly anyone was there. Even though this zoo isn't as loaded as the DC it definitely has the perk that you can actually see animals, take your time, and not feel pushed along.

("Eboo Elphant! Say bye!"

(The "Elphants")
href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhagfnyzKdYVIoq2s3j7CCNM3EhslJOISplHWbJbT-IEDY7MAW9XTJgI-oxrsDmMJa953B96wEb1_ZXDaN41oQc3jCT8GnRo8LSz2wSr5v254BEqC1rV8_vKHKymxv4MIqonisTKOSEstg/s1600-h/zoophant1.jpg">

We saw monkey's, Ostrich's, Zebra's, Giraffes, Meercat, etc....Noelle was really cute with all of them and would say, "EBOO ELFANT!" then "BYE ELFANT!" When we got to the Rhino's she was annoyed because they had this really nice pond that no one was getting in. She kept telling them, "Hey EYENO! GO SWIMMING!. DADDY EYENO YOU NEED A BATH!" It was pretty funny. She also couldn't figure out why the "MEERCATS" weren't saying "MEOW." :)

(zebra)


(The Giraffes)



(Ropes are for adults, not kids. Clearly if they were kids they wouldn't be just the right height to climb over).

(watching)


(Pictures like this would be perfect if you the bird wasn't chasing you and therefore you cut its head off...Did you know that girl peacocks are called peahens? Someone I hated once told me that, but its true)


Halfway through she decided it was time for lunch, so we had some oranges, string cheese, and some crackers and just talked. At that point we had seen most of the animals.

After lunch we rounded the corner and they had this little playground. I let Noelle go play on it just as a tribe of "Orangutans" (second graders) showed up. The alpha (teacher) said, "Now orangutans, please be nice to the little kids already playing on the slides." and then she let the "herd" stampede. I saw all the parents of little ones pull their kids of the slides, but I wanted to see how Noelle handled it. She did pretty good. She didn't let the big kids push her around and she didn't give anyone else trouble. She ran around for at least 45 minutes.
(Herd of Stampeding Orangutans)


When the crowd thinned she went to a little slide and was playing this musical thing when this other two year old showed up. I had been watching the two year old and knew she was trouble, but I had enjoyed watching Noelle with the older kids. The two-year-olds mom sauntered over. I watched the two year old pick on an 18 mo old. (The mom ignored it....the dad of the 18 mo old took his kid somewhere else)

Right as I was asking myself what I would do if things got out of hand, this SNOT kid pokes Noelle in the eye AND yanks on her hair. Snot's mom just chomps on her cud! I gave that kid the evilest eye and said "DO NOT TOUCH HER AGAIN." The snot just acted like she hadn't been caught with ink on her hands. (The mom obviously had more stomachs than brains because she still didn't seem to notice). I did not intervene any more than that, but after the SNOT left I told Noelle. "Kids like that are like Swiper. If you see them coming stick your hand out like this and say 'No touching No touching."

Who knew Dora would be so helpful? Honestly, you hate having to teach your kid things like that, but after watching her interact on the playground without interceding I felt I knew what her limits were. She can handle herself fine with Orangutans, but SNOTS are another story.



I had to convince Noelle to go with me to the petting zoo, but once there she had a blast. She walked through a fish tank, saw some "ALAMA"S" and even got to get in a pen with some goats and pet them.

Again, it took some convincing to get her into the stroller to go home. (As in, she cried the whole way out and I was pretty much Birth Control for several honeymooners).

We came home, had some lunch and now she is napping. I have to get things ready for the get together I am having with the ladies tomorrow, but I should be home tomorrow to call!.

LOVE YOU!

Lindsey

5 comments:

Saundra said...

My kids loved the zoo as well. We could spend hours there! Their favorite part was the giraffes, and zebras. That playground was ALWAYS overrun with snots whenever we were there.

Brooke Snow said...

You should teach Noelle the "Back! Boom!" that Dad taught us. Worked great for me on Landon Wood. He never bothered me again :) He was definitely a SNOT.

Barbie said...

I think that Noelle has the best mom! What a fun day you two had seeing the nice animals and the snot-so-nice ones! It looks like a really fun day for both of you.

Krystal said...

What a cute post!!! How fun to go out and spend the day at the zoo.... Also, I will have to remember to use the "swiper" scenario in the right teaching moments, for Kily Loves Dora as well...

Sarah said...

You are just the cutest dang mom...with the cutest dang kid. Seriously, she is so darling! The zoo looks like a blast, and your pictures are beautiful (even if a head got cut off ;) Good luck with the next 6-ish weeks!