Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ginger miracles and a Crap muscle

First. For the record mom, your ginger bath was the miraculous catapult that kept Noelle from the depths of a feverish despair. Thank you.

Well. I am back. Not here, on the internet, but back in Maryland. My house seemed so ....homey...on arrival at One-ish this morning when we got back from the airport. It is good to be back. It is good that we survived.

It is going to sound like I am a huge complainer--I don't know, maybe I am and need to work on that. But, I exercised my "crap happens" muscle so much this month that seriously--the plane ride home-even though Noelle threw up, a "I guess I judged that lady by her cover" woman tried to turn me in for asking her to watch my bags for me while tended to an emergency potty-epticmy during a lay-over, and I lost my cool and called a man a "Crotchety Fart" for yelling at Noelle and making her cry, that I actually felt like this was one of our better plan rides. Isn't that saying something!

Lets start at the beginning.

My grandpa died.
I lived and experienced the many shades of grief. I am still in denial even though emotionally I have been on the white roller coaster at Lagoon since finding out.

I flew home.
It was the worst plane ride of my life. Imagine the worst: kids crying. plane breaking. huffing it through the airport. The whole ordeal.

I got to see my family.
I love my family. It was a hard time, but a good time. The funeral itself was really good, Noelle was as happy as can be "helping" my parents with chores like milking the goat and feeding the rabbits, and Jadon cheered everyone up with his award winning smile. until.

Jadon got sick.
Like the plague. He didn't sleep. I didn't sleep. Fever. Aches. Sad face. Break your heart.

Then Noelle got sick.
Another plague. Enter night-terrors. She didn't sleep. Jesse didn't sleep. (Sorry Jess) and since Jadon still wasn't sleeping I didn't sleep.

I am glad I went--maybe I will expound when Nanowrimo is over. (Did you see my widget? Cheer me on!!!!) But I did kind of feel like I was having a Job experience except without the faith and obedience.

Like I said though, your "crap happens" muscle can get stronger and by the plane ride home (after a pep talk from my bro) I was channeling my best Monique Chapman. (Monique--did you know I try to channel your optimism?) and made it home to my cute honey who kissed me even though I smelled like vomit, spit-up, plane sweat, and a sore crap happens muscle.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Bless your little heart, missy. You aren't complaining, merely telling the story, and man! It sure makes me feel like my Crap-Happens muscle is not as strong as yours. But, then, you've had some experiences to exercise the heck out of it. Way to make it through that rollercoaster!

Your thoughts were beautiful at the funeral. They made me cry...good tears.

Shilae said...

I'm sorry on so many levels. For your loss, for your hardships. Good luck with nanowrimo.

Anonymous said...

oh, hun, we're so sorry. you are in our prayers.
we lost grand-pa and berg in the end of the summer. i've never really known that part of life before. changes a lot.
it's a tough time.
love u!

Brooke Snow said...

i'm glad you're home safe. Hopefully December's plane ride will be free of crotchety old farts :) love you big.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your grandpa. Glad to hear that you only called the guy a name rather than really letting him have it. Seriously, making Noelle cry could have elicited a lot more I think (just basing this on how I might have reacted if someone did something like that to Eliza). I agree about your Monique comment. I use her as a source of strength too.

Monique said...

I knew someone stole my optimism!! ;) The funny thing is, I also said, "Bless her little heart" afterward. I hear you about that roller coaster. The white one even. It's a doozy. So so sorry about your grandpa. Can you imagine how much more sad you would be if you didn't know that you will see him again?? B just lost his grandpa yesterday and I'm trying to talk to Haley about it. She's having a hard time. The other 2 just think it's cool that he gets to go to heaven. May we all live our lives so we can be with our loved ones again. And girl, you made my day. Muchas Gracias! Y buena suerte para tu libro!