Friday, November 12, 2010

What I am learning about writing.

I can NOT honestly say that I have always wanted to be a writer.

I have always wanted to be a dancer.

I still want to be a dancer.

Somewhere in my twenties I decided that writing was pretty awesome too, and then all of a sudden I felt passionate about it.

I realize that I totally lack three essential things to be a writer

1. Training.
2. Time.
3. Patience.


Yet here I am doing Nanowrimo with such determination that I haven't cooked dinner, written my talk for Sunday (on Journaling....ha ha. The irony), prepared my Sharing time for Sunday, posted my pictures for my photo class, or brushed my hair. (I did brush my teeth.)

I wrote today and it was all crap crappity crap. I even wrote ABOUT crap. Seriously. (Mom, remember that story about Gramp and the paper bag he lite on fire....) However, I did write, so if this experience is all about determination--than so bet it.

Here are some other things I have learned.

1. If you set a goal, that is really really really important to you, then be prepared for the world to suddenly need your time and attention for EVERYTHING.

2. Books are amazing. I could give every author I meet a hug hug. I never knew how much appreciation they deserved for giving us something to escape to. It is kind of a shame that I gulp them up so quickly when they are in the kitchen cooking them up for such-a-long-time!

3. I am creative. I am eccentric.

4. It is easier to write fiction than to write truth. It is easiest to pretend to write truth, but have it be fiction.

5. A little bit of me slips into all of my characters. I will never tell which parts. :)

6. When this month is over my book is going to stink. ROYALLY. I really got my hopes up after the first week because I was loving everything that I wrote. Then I ran out of time so most of what I have been writing lately is junk. I just keep forcing myself to do it though, because even with sleep deprivation I occasionally stumble across a really great metaphor, or funny conversation, or thought provoking detail.

In conclusion: I will probably need dentures before I get this blasted book written, but I am farther today than I was yesterday and that is all that matters.

The end.


P.S. Please mark your calenders, I am petitioning for a national holiday. BOTH of my kids slept through the entire night.

3 comments:

Brooke Snow said...

you're in luck. GOOD TEETH runs in our family. (image of Nona chomping here teeth here at age 99), so you actually probably WON"T need dentures.

Time on the other hand... you'll probably still need.

Sarah said...

1. You're amazing for working toward such an awesome goal.
2. I'm certain it's not crap. Prolly is really, really good, actually.
3. BOTH kids slept through the night? Definite holiday!

Barbie said...

I'm cheering you on from here! You can do it...you are doing it...you will do it!!! Good job on what ever you did to knock the kids out for a whole night.