Thursday, February 26, 2015

Family Trip Part 1

I've never really been into "all things Disney" and my kids are pretty obvlious to it all as well. Yet as I was trying to make a plan for a family vacation I found myself watching youtube clips about Disneyland and even joking about it with Jason. We really needed some time together. You know when you can just feel it? Now, I firmly believe that togetherness time can happen at home, or somewhere simple like a cabin in the woods, but with my calling and Jason traveling I needed us OUT OF THE STATE. I also knew that with a baby coming smack dab at the beginning of summer some vacation plans weren't going to work for us.

I think the reason I was resistant to the whole "Disney" thing had multiple levels. I didn't want to spend the money, I didn't want my kids to feel entitled, I didn't want to spend the money, my kids aren't that into the charactors....

Looking back I think its odd I thought I wasn't that into "Disney." I don't even watch adult movies any more. I watch animation. As in....Disney. As an adult I don't really like serious, complicated, people with lots of problems, books....I like fairytale retellings. I LOVE fairytale retellings. So uh...Disneyland is kind of a perfect place for me isn't it?

Getting Jason on board: Like I said, I joked about it for about a month but I wasn't even really that serious. Then one night after a planning our lives session (those happen a lot) I said, "Hey by the way, lets go buy plane tickets to California and take the kids to Disney." And he said, "Okay." I was so shocked I couldn't even protest.

After pulling the trigger I really did fret about it. Were we being frivoulous? Would our kids behave and enjoy it? Would it totally stress us out as parents being in crowds? Would my kids get the MEASLES? PEOPLE STOP POSTING ALL YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT VACCINES ON FACEBOOK YOU ARE TURNING ME INTO A CRAZY WOMAN!!! (Had to get that out).

Obviously we are back and guess what? I am so super thankful we went. It was awesome.

Here is what I'm thankful for:

1. Perfect, sublime, beautiful weather. Tad bit too cold for the pool but perfect for the park. California is a beautiful state. (Would be even more beautiful sans a gazillion people...but can't do much about that can I?)

2. Being with Jason. We are such a good team. I planned my guts out for this vacation, but like life, when the day came we were a perfect team like we had the same brain. I love spending time with him. The KIDS loved spending time with him. I loved seeing him smile, and laugh, and have fun with the kids without having to worry about schedules, and chores, and homework....

3. Watching my all of a sudden big kids. Noelle was awesome and never complained once about walking. She was helpful, and patient, and brave going on some rides that she was tall enough for, but maybe a little young for. (Indiana Jones). Jadon was Jadon. He threw fits, but they were small fits, and HEY he would have been throwing fits at home so better to be somewhere fun. He actually did really well and I adored seeing him smile and get along well with Noelle. Watching Sydney was priceless. She danced the whole way through some of the rides. She loved the parades and waved at the characters, and was my little buddy while the others went on rides.

4. Making it home in one piece. I stress about traveling with kids. But, we did it! We made it! Idaho is wonderful and big and we had a grand adventure, but it is good to be back!

Next post: The actual trip.

No comments: