
I have been meaning to do this for a while, but with out computer being down I was a little bit behind on things.
December 4th was my sisters Brooke's birthday. One year I forgot and went with friends to Las Vegas. Though I vowed I would NEVER do that again (go to Vegas with friends) I succeeded this year to just plain forget that it was already December. So pretty much if its your birthday coming up....please call and remind me. Eddie does this, and as you can see it actually works because I did NOT forget his birthday...this year...
Anyway! This post is about my sister.
Some of the ways and reasons Brooke has influenced my life:
1. I love music because of Brooke. Not just some but a variety. Some people can identify classical music by name and composer. For me, its just nostalgic. Because inevitable Brooke played such and such peice at one point in her life. She has made a lot of C.D.'s both playing the piano and singing. I can ALWAYS tell when she is playing. i don't know what it is but I always recognize it. She has brought our family A Capella, Celtic, avante garde...and all of our favorites (from the kids who never practiced and got the same song assigned every week) La cooka rotcha.
2. I got my educational drive from Brooke. She ALWAYS got good grades. She made it a priority so I just thought that was what I was supposed to do. I am really grateful for that because I probably pushed myself a lot harder trying to proove that I was just as smart as her. (Which, for the record I am not...except maybe in dance history and even then she probably knows more than most).
3. Performance skills. Yes. I learned to perform from my sister. No it was not her rendition of Queen Agravain in "Once Upon a Mattress" that really set my course. It was the "Entertainer" Every time she played it I just couldn't stop myself. I HAD to put on my hula skirt and come skipping in. The crowds loved it. Expecially when she started playing faster and faster out of irritation with me. :)
4. Every good comedian needs a good audience. Last time we were together I realized this. Gee. Its nice to be around someone who laughs at the same things you do, and the things you say. Brooke and I (when we have both had enough to eat) bounce off each other fairy well. And, we can laugh at the same punch line over and over and over and over. Salaka Dude. Its still funny!
5. Brooke inspires me to be more motivated. I have NEVER known her to not have a million projects. She is an artist in every aspect of her life. Music, writing, photography etc...She excells at all of them. My favorite thing she has ever given me was actually a poem she wrote about me. (She writes the best lighthearted poetry)
6. Obviously its very nice to be related to a good photographer. That comes in way handy. But back in the day it was also nice to have an accompanist handy. Especially one who covered up the fact that I couldn't count by following ME and my wacko beat.
7. Brooke and I are very different in a lot of ways, and actually quite similar in others. We both have a strong opinion, and sometimes....that means that we have to be really good at forgiving each other. Which... Brooke is. She put up with me as a kid sister and puts up with me now as a friend. I REALLY do love her. I love her style. I love her personality, I love her music. Our family would be really quiet without her. It is to her that Stella Luna owes her home. :) And that to her I owe for influencing me my whole life. She makes me want to be a better person.
I love you BROOKE!
2 comments:
You know, I'm glad that you and Brooke have each other. I always wanted a sister and the older I get the more I wonder how it would have been to have a built in friend that grew up in my house and just knew stuff about the family and how to deal with family things. I liked your post.
OOOOOoohhhh! I got a post on your blog all about me! Thanks Schwest! It was like... you totally Salaka Dude' me! Things may have been a little rough growing up...with Stella Luna and all, but I'm sure glad that we're great friends now! I can't wait to see you all again at New Years, and laugh, and talk, and eat, and laugh, and Salaka Dude Noellie!
Post a Comment