
I am going through this experience twice-
both times through child's eyes.
I am an infant to all this. I have never lived somewhere tropical, been swimming in the ocean, or seen just magnificent foliage.
Noelle looks at everything eagerly. We took her for a walk in her hiking backpack to break it in and she just cooed the whole time. I TOTALLY know how she feels.
Everyday I feel SO grateful that i get to have this experience. It has made me appreciate the obvious blessings, but as my heart opens up in gratitude it remembers even more to be thankful for. Its the magic factor. When I first went to Europe I just felt humbled, given perspective, and like I was seeing this secret messages from Heavenly Father, sent just for me. I felt it again when I lived in Russia, and when I was at BYU. I have missed it.
Today was great. The legacy of the Monday luncheons lives on. (Thanks to Ariella the best hostess EVER and my inspiration). We had a small group from our ward come to our house. Other than the fact my house being WAY too hot it was really fun.
Jason called at lunch to check on me. I told him my face was melting off. I was sure if I looked in the mirror i would see my eyeball keeping level with my nose. Feeling spontaneous I insisted we go to the beach for FHE.
This is where I explain that I am the same person who went swimming at MIDNIGHT in a glacier lake. I am also the person who thought nothing of riding my bike to Chapel of the Sacred Heart to go swimming ALL by MYSELF in the middle of a storm. I also went swimming in a gushing waterfall, at night, and jumped from a rock. Then I got married and my thrill seeking ended.
So with that background information, please tell me why I am slightly nervous to swim in perfectly clear, perfectly safe water? I put on the snorkel and nearly died of a salty water overdose when a fish swam by. The ocean is their home you know. It wasn't like they invited me!
Noelle was equally eager, but unsure. I couldn't stop laughing at her. When we put her in the sand she tried to run because she doesn't like the feel of it on her feet. I waded out into the ocean with her and she seemed pretty intrigued with the waves, but insistent that her feet not get sandy. In fact as the water came in she would laugh, as the tide went back she fussed because she would see sand in between her toes. Funny baby!
We stayed until the sun was setting. It was magical, peaceful, and perfect. I am so excited to share this with people as they come to visit! (BTW The Maughan hotel is booked through November with the exception of July).

7 comments:
I really really really really want to come there! Oh man! To think I'll probably have to wait until next spring! ugh! btw. you look REALLY good in your cute swimsuit!
Wow, beautiful sunset, inviting water, great sand and cute family! Was it any cooler on the beach? You might have to do this more often. It would never be good to let a good beach and ocean moment go to waste!
I've been so busy to read anybody's blog. I can't believe how many I missed in yours! I'm just really jealous but at the same time I'm so happy that you guys are experiencing these things right now. btw, Happy belated birthday!
I just wanted to know that i read your blog frequently but rarely have time to comment. It looks like you are having so much fun. I wish I could come and visit. I had to laugh about the cockroach and the gecko. We experienced those often when we lived in Florida. Good luck with things.
Lindsey! It's been so fun reading your blog, you are quite the writer! When is your first book out?! I'm glad you made it to Ko'olina, and Haupia icecream--life doesn't get better than that! So glad you came to HI to keep me company :)
i'd love to come...but...
Glad to hear you're having so much fun!
p.s. what about the skype thing?
Your pictures are amazing! What an incredible experience you're having. It's so fun to read about your tropical adventures. Hiking, swimming, faces melting, roaches, and geckos - sheesh, what a blast! :) Seriously, I love vicariously experiencing Hawaii through your blog. Thanks!
Post a Comment